Friday 10 July 2020

Welcome to the Lights-On Renewables Blog

Welcome to everyone. How are you? How are you getting on with things? I know this is a hard time for everyone.

I’m excited to be writing this blog for you. One silver-lining to the pandemic we are experiencing is the effect it has had on how we view the economy and what is possible. We have seen energy consumption plummet and many of our energy-intensive processes have slowed1. As put by a group of current and former central bankers,

 “This crisis offers us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rebuild our economy in order to withstand the next shock coming our way: climate breakdown. Unless we act now, the climate crisis will be tomorrow’s central scenario and, unlike Covid-19, no one will be able to self-isolate from it.”2

  The situation is not only destruction and devastation, it is also a great time to be looking at our topic: renewable, sustainable technologies that “keep the lights on”. And by that I mean that they have to meet our needs.

This blog is intended for anyone with an interest in renewable energy and sustainability, although I hope to write a high proportion of posts targeted at scientists, engineers and other technically-informed individuals. 

I once spoke with a scientist developing a new farming method called agro-forestry (it’s very cool, check it out). I found his email address and contacted him. I wanted to know: can this method meet our populations’ food demands whilst leaving all the space we need for housing, industry, rewilding etc. So I asked him “what is agro-forestry’s productivity in, say, kg/hectare/yr compared with conventional methods”. He responded that I was asking the wrong question because his method was much more sustainable.

We will hopefully not get distracted by idealism in this blog. We will take the approach that a solution has only been reached once a technology meets all the requirements and reaches economic viability. Otherwise, it will not be an instrument for reducing emissions.

Whilst, I admit, most of my knowledge on this matter was gained in the UK, I am really mostly occupied with how Israel, where I live from 2021, will decarbonise. That being said, I like to anchor my thoughts in the ways of thinking that are applicable to all countries, and from there to focus on Israel. So, I will prefer to speak in more general terms.

Another aspect of the lights-on nature of this blog is that I believe that Israel is destined to be a “light unto the nations”. Israel is a breeding ground for ambition, passion and innovation and we can demonstrate to the world how important protecting the natural environment, and the future of humanity, is. May we merit to see Israel quickly transform into a clean and sustainable economic superpower, and show the world our enormous capabilities for the betterment of the whole world.

References:

  1.        Financial Times https://www.ft.com/content/ee88c064-2fac-4a08-aad5-59188210167b
  2.   https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/05/world-climate-breakdown-pandemic

 


No comments:

Post a Comment